[LHC] Unfolding The 8-Bit Era

Douglas Esteves douglas.brsoftware at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 04:31:16 PST 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyU7Fscd2KU

Presented at the 12th European Conference on Visual Media Production
(London, United Kingdom, November 24-25, 2015)

We propose a hardware and software system that transforms 8-bit
side-scrolling console video games into immersive multiplayer experiences.
We enhance a classic video game console with custom hardware that
time-multiplexes eight gamepad inputs to automatically hand off control
from one gamepad to the next. Because control transfers quickly, people at
a large event can frequently step in and out of a game and naturally call
to their peers to join any time a gamepad is vacant. Video from the game
console is captured and processed by a vision algorithm that stitches it
into a continuous, expanding panoramic texture, which is displayed in real
time on a 360 degree projection system at a large event space. With this
system, side-scrolling games unfold across the walls of the room to
encircle a large party, giving the feeling that the entire party is taking
place inside of the game's world. When such a display system is not
available, we also provide a virtual reality recreation of the experience.
We show results of our system for a number of classic console games tested
at a large live event. Results indicate that our work provides a successful
recipe to create immersive, multiplayer, interactive experiences that
leverage the nostalgic appeal of 8-bit games.

The system was deployed at a large event space (AURA) in Zurich for the
Eurographics 2015 conference dinner.

Watch the System Setup Time-Lapse Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrntP...
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrntPhAe438>